Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Taiko



How I have failed to mention taiko thus far, I do not know, but now is the time to right that wrong: taiko is deadly. Hitting big drums with large sticks is the most immensely satisfying post-work activity I have ever encountered. I joined a group in Kokura called Wai Wai about six weeks ago and have been going to practice regularly ever since. They're a pretty righteous crew and no doubt about it. They perform all sorts of different routines with bitchin counter-rhythms and amazing breakdowns and stuff and, and... it's just savage.

Above is Adam from Australia, who was good enough to pose for a photo. I think in this shot he managed to express the savage beauty that lies at the heart of this centuries-old art. Nice one, Adam!

No comments:

Post a Comment